Friday 1 June 2012

Nyonya deco shopfronts in Singapore

Nyonya shophouse architecture (like the food, costume etc) has twists all of its own. I have just been researching, having taken some pix around Singapore. In general, Nyonya houses have more eclectic Western elements - 'pillar' details, cornicing etc - and often windows are separate, and full-length with shutters (rather than in a row of waist-height openings). Also decoration is more colourful and ornate, with painted tiles, painted plaster flowers and patterns used.

Here's a Nyonya style shophouse in Chinatown, Singapore - and couple of pix I snapped between traffic in the Eunos / East Coast Road area showing Nyonya influenced decoration. If I see more, I will add photos.

In Chinatown

As I have mentioned before, Baba/Nyonya (or Peranakan) culture is the unique group of traditions and styles evolved by the intermarried Malays and Straits Chinese in this region. There are elements of this culture in pockets in Singapore, and a more in places like Melaka and Penang in Malaysia.


Incidentally, durian really does linger. And I could smell this shop from about 200m up the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment