Wednesday 27 June 2012

Four more weird English phrases

I am beginning to realise what a peculiar - and also complex - language British English is! Slang words, old words, and all have nuance .. must be a minefield for beginners. (No doubt I will soon be finding the same with Japanese and other 2nd languages!)

1. OH MY GIDDY AUNT! 
This means "Oh my goodness!" It is an informal phrase, but not at all offensive, and is often used by older ladies! Giddy is an old-fashioned word which can mean either light-headed or scatter-brained. But why this aunt's state is used as an exclamation I have no idea!

Example:
Oh my giddy aunt! There is an enormous spider in the bath!

2. ONE-TRACK MIND 
Implies a person only ever thinks about one thing, or is obsessed with one thing. (Often it is used about men who sleep around - or would like to sleep around!) Generally it is not a polite thing to say, though it can be used jokingly.

Example:
Don't bother talking to him, he has a one-track mind.

3. I WAS FLUMMOXED

Means I was stumped, perplexed, confused. Flummox is also a slightly old-fashioned word and is not impolite.

Examples:
I was totally flummoxed by last night's maths homework.
The road map to Leicester had Ben flummoxed.

4. SHACKED-UP
Is slang for living together. It usually refers to couples, but it can sometimes be used for flatmates or house-sharers.

Examples:
How is Sandra? Oh she's shacked-up with that guy from France. (couples)
I'm shacking up with my cousins for a few months. (house-sharers)


No comments:

Post a Comment