Wednesday 30 May 2012

Nosh of the Day: Pearl Jambu

I'm trying to drop some kilos. Not because I am suddenly size L in Asia (UK 10) and classed as a giant heiffer. But because if I fight again, I don't want to be in this weight category (around 5kg over my usual and potentially resulting in taller, head-kicking opponents!)

SO I have been trying to eat fruit instead of donuts (some of you will find this deeply shocking). In the UK 'interesting' fruits cost a fortune, leaving one with the dull staples of apples, oranges, bananas. In Singapore, however, cheap local fruit is a whole new ball-game.

My favourite new-tries so far: Asian pears (crispy and sweet); Malaysian passion fruit - yum. Old staple goodies are rambutans and mangosteens.

Anyway, despite having spent quite some time in SE Asia (as a child, and visiting / working as an adult) today was my first try of Jambu (jum-boo) fruit. The verdict: rather like eating refreshing, juicy polystyrene. No real flavour. But inoffensive in general. Probably good if you're thirsty in the heat.


Jambu are part of the myrtle family, like guavas (though not the same fruit, despite some confusion!)

No comments:

Post a Comment